2. Organisational Effectiveness : DEGREE TO WHICH AN ORGANISATION REALIZED ITS GOALS…
4. Elements Of Organization structure
1).Work specialisation: Division of labour leads to fitting the right person in right place& hence it saves cost, time & improves productivity through specialised skill but may lead to fatigue and boredom.
2).Departmentalization: Functions, Product, Customer Geographic, Process
3).Chain of command: Clarifes who report to whom
4).Span of control: No.of suboordinates a manager can control and direct effectively.
5).Centralisation & Decentralisation
– Used as a means for achieving goals.
– Requires follower dependency.
– Used to gain lateral and upward influence.
1. The Simple Structure : low degree of departmentalization, wide span of control, authority centralised in a single person.
The Bureaucracy:standarised activity, highly efficient
but there exists conflicts in subunits & excess rules.
Matrix : Combination of functional and project or product patterns of departmentation in the same organisation
We have to analyse when to adopt simple or Matrix structure …..
3. Why do structures differ?
— Every organization has a unique structure depending on various factors and forces in the industry.
— We describe two organizational models, one is the organic model and the other the mechanistic model.
— The organic looks like the boundaryless organization .It is flat, prevalence of cross- functional and hierarchical teams whereas the mechanistic model is more synonymous with the bureaucracy in that it has extensive departmentalization, high formalization and a limited network.
— Structures differ based on these factors
¡ Organization size
4. Not everyone prefers the freedom and flexibility of organic structures. Some people are most productive and satisfied when work tasks are standardized and ambiguity is minimized that is, in mechanistic structure. So any discussion of the effect of organizational design on employee behavior has to address individual differences. To illustrate the point, let us consider employee preferences for work specialization span of control and centralization.
6. OST based Question …..
Case study was based on organisational structure… Strategies used to overcome the faced problem…….